Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thank You Very Much

Yesterday I was at the funeral of a World War II veteran. He was part of the D-Day invasion way back in 1944. He served under the command of General Patton. The burial had the full 21 gun salute, playing of taps and the folding/presentation of the flag to the family. I have to admit that it was really cool.

But during the funeral itself one of the grandkids talked about her memories of her Grandpa. She said he would sometimes talk about his experience in the war and explain to his grandkids and great-grandkids that he hoped his sacrifice and service would keep any of his family from seeing the same things he saw in the war.

I started to think about what he went through in the European conflict. What he saw, what he experienced. I've seen movies like "Saving Private Ryan" but I can't really imagine what he went through.

So at the grave-site service while the Army was doing their presentation it hit me that he did all that for me. I didn't have to go to a far off land to fight. I didn't have to leave my family and friends. I was never drafted. I've never gone through that type of conflict. My generation has benefited from all of their service.

And I am grateful.

I don't want to forget what all of the servicemen and women have done for me. And I know there are tons of deep spiritual applications here. But at that moment it was simple. I was grateful. Grateful to all of those who have served in my place. Those that have served before to make our country what it is today.

So I want to say thank you. Thank you very much. You are appreciated.

0 comments: