Sunday, August 10, 2008

My friend Jerry

I have a new idol. Someone to look up to. And no, it's not Batman, Michael Jordan or anyone on the Dallas Cowboys. It's my friend Jerry.

Jerry is having surgery on Monday morning at 7:30 AM to remove part of his liver that is filled with tumors. Jerry is a walking miracle. About a year ago Jerry was told that cancer had spread to his liver and there wasn't much doctors could do. This is a man who is in his early 40's with two small boys. Not something you want to hear. But over the past year God has done amazing things in Jerry's life. He's connected him to the best surgeon in the world in New York. Special chemo-treatments have done what doctors here thought was impossible. And now he has enough good liver to go in and perform surgery. God has been faithful.

But the amazing thing is Jerry didn't let this poor report change his life. Over the past year and a half I've seen Jerry stay involved with people at church and stay involved in various ministries he volunteers for. He's even at prayer each Friday morning at 7 AM. I've also had the privilege to be in a small group with Jerry and his family. I am proud to say that Jerry is my friend.

Just last Wednesday we spent time praying for Jerry before he left for New York. And the amazing thing was that Jerry spent more time praying and believing for other people.

So tomorrow I am praying and believing that God will complete the miracle that He has started in Jerry's life. So if you can, say a prayer for my friend Jerry this week.

*UPDATE*
Jerry made it through the surgery fine today and the doctors were really encouraged and felt good about the procedure. Now it's several months of healing before the second round of surgery begins.

0 comments: