Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wings

I had an interesting experience yesterday at lunch. I have been meeting with one of my friends here each week for lunch to just hang out and talk. Well yesterday we decided to head over for some wings. We also like to play the video poker. Which I dominated by the way. That's right, I'm great when I'm playing with fake money.

So we're done with lunch and we give our server our cards to pay for lunch. But she doesn't come back. Finally she stops by to tell us that they're having a problem with their system and that they're on dial-up so it should just be one more minute.

That one minute turns into ten and we're starting to get a little frustrated. We walk to the front where our cards are being held "hostage" and talk to our server. She says there is nothing she can do and that her manager is on the phone right now trying to work this out.

We stood in the front waiting for several more minutes before the thing was resolved. As I was leaving of course I'm feeling pretty upset. What poor customer service that was. The manager was keeping two of us there for over 20 minutes for less than 20 bucks combined. Making us late getting back to work and leaving us feeling pretty negative on the restaurant.

And we never spoke to the manager personally. She stayed in the office trying to take care of the situation.

Crazy.

So then I thought about our "customer service" each week here at church. How do we treat people that come into our services? Am I a manager that stays in the office trying to take care of "problems" or am I out there making sure that everyone is doing ok? Am I making people feel welcome and at "home" here at our church?

Maybe its a weak comparison but that's what I am thinking about this morning.

0 comments: