Monday, February 18, 2008

Interesting Discussion

I spoke yesterday on parenting in the AM service and had an interesting discussion with a first time guest following the message. She had an issue with the following survey I used (which I picked up from lifechurch.tv)

Kids Who Become Active Christ-followers as Adults

If mom and dad went to church: 72% of kids will as adults.
If mom only went to church: 15% of kids will as adults.
If dad only went to church: 55% of kids will as adults.
If neither mom nor dad: 06% of kids will as adults.

I was stating the importance of father's taking on the spiritual leadership in the household. She felt that I was minimizing the role of the mother because the survey shows that higher number of kids will follow Christ if the father only went to church than if the mother only goes to church. She spent several minutes explaining that I was sending the message to young girls that they're not equal with men. I tried to tell her that what I was talking about had nothing to do with being equal with men. It had everything to do with men being the spiritual leader in the home. Wow, I think she missed the point just a little bit.

I feel the survey upholds the biblical principle that the men have a spiritual responsibility in their homes. And if you look closely at the survey, the highest percentage is when BOTH mom and dad go to church.

But I thought the entire message on parenting was pretty good. At least it meant a lot for me as a parent.

Now I'm working on Week 2. Should be fun.

Your thoughts?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should have gone into a lengthy discussion with her about that passage in Samuel.