Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My phone

I have an incredible cell phone. We've recently gone to 3G here in town. No, I don't have an iPhone...yet. No, I don't have a Blackberry. I really don't have a smart phone at all. I have the amazing...Razor. Now before you laugh, it was free when I started my contract with AT&T. That was enough for me. I wanted to text, call and get a free phone. This one worked.

Now, why am I taking a post to talk about my cell phone? Here is why. I try to make all of the phone calls I need to make while I am driving in the car. It's like I have this free time that I can use to make calls that I've missed during the day. So lately I've been making the calls on my way home from work. The problem is, the calls have taken longer than my drive home and I end up sitting in the garage in my car finishing the phone call.

You may think that this isn't such a big deal. But I have realized that it is. Let me tell you why. I have two kids who are usually waiting for me when I get home. And there's nothing better than two kids screaming "DADDY!" as I walk in the house. But over the past few weeks they've come to the garage door, opened up to see if I was in the garage, seen me on the phone, frowned and shut the door as they went back inside. And when I finally make it into the house they ask me, "Why are you always on the phone when you get home?"

And I must admit, that made me rethink my priorities. So the past few days I've gotten home without the phone on my ear and this is what I hear, "Daddy is home and he's not on the phone!" Then there is much screaming and we hug and play with each other.

I know I'm not always the world's greatest dad...but I'm working really hard each day to be. I'm realizing that I only have one shot at raising my kids and I want them to know they are more important to me than anything else. Especially a free phone.

And you know what? I think that's how God feels about us too.

0 comments: